Sun Chemical Releases Sustainability Report
PARSIPPANY, NJ – Sun Chemical has published its fifth Corporate Sustainability Report, which introduces a new internal web-based data collecting system designed to improve metrics reporting and highlights many examples of renewable projects being implemented at various Sun Chemical production facilities worldwide.
Sun Chemical’s 2013 Corporate Sustainability Report continues to focus on the company's data-driven sustainability efforts by reporting the performance measurement for seven key sustainability metrics: energy consumption/conservation at production and non-production sites, the energy carbon footprint at the production sites, process waste reduction, water consumption, materials safety, and employee safety.
In the report, the company introduces a new internal web-based collecting system called EcoTrack. EcoTrack enables continuous monitoring, gives more transparency and improves data quality check capabilities of the seven key sustainability metrics.
EcoTrack will be a key tool moving forward in Sun Chemical’s road map objective to review target improvement opportunities. The company has collected data for the key sustainability metrics since 2005 from approximately 170 Sun Chemical sites in over 25 countries, and this data has been uploaded into the system to keep continuity in data reporting.
A variety of renewable and safety projects are highlighted in the report, including:
- The installation of solar panels in the Wavre, Belgium, facility;
- 28 projects in the Muskegon, MI, facility that helped to avoid 726 tons of CO2 emissions;
- The installation of a new distillation unit in Kankakee, IL, which increased the quantity of ink manufactured for each kilogram of cleaning solvent by 40 percent;
- The capture of steam to produce energy at the Maumee, OH site; and
- A fire training and evacuation exercise to identify improvement areas at the Marki, Poland, facility.
The sustainability report is available to customers and can be requested online at www.sunchemical.com/sustainability. Customers can also calculate the initial carbon footprint for their facility operations by visiting http://www.sunchemical.com/services/consultative-services/.