BYK Instruments’ exclusive distributor in Mexico, Exacolor POS, has given back to its community by developing a new, locally sourced manual paint shaker. By sourcing the parts locally, Exacolor was able to give stability to over 40+ families by creating local jobs and a local community identity.

“It is really important for us here at Exacolor POS to source locally whenever possible. We need to create something that is not only an excellent product, but whose purpose is to give back,” said Oscar Tolosa, operations director for Exacolor POS. With help from Armando Valero design and production manager at Exacolor POS and others, the production strategy developed brought this idea to fruition.

Valero explained, “Exacolor on-shored 95% of the suppliers from Mexico and the other 5% from the United States. The suppliers consisted of 30 companies, of which five were struggling, newly established micro companies that the 40+ families were based on. These companies were not only affected by COVID, but were new start-ups, had never experienced world class manufacturing, or needed changes to their operational processes.”

By establishing good relationships and mutual trust, Exacolor POS was able to have open-book discussions, full internal process sharing, and hands-on training in productivity, basic lean manufacturing, and identification and disposal of waste. The company considered these five suppliers to be an extension of Exacolor POS, and treated and trained the employees as their own. These factors instantly resulted in increased profitability.

Sourcing parts locally provided job security for 40+ families in a period of economic struggle and created new jobs. These five companies are now authorized BYK Instruments’ Service Centers. Staff are trained on a routine basis and are equipped with the latest certified working standards and calibration/service software. Only original parts are used for repair to guarantee high-quality service on a global basis.

For more information, visit: and