Oregon’s Paint Recycling Program Reaches Over One Million Gallons
PORTLAND – PaintCare’s Annual Report for Oregon’s Paint Stewardship Program boasts a 30 percent increase in the paint recycling program’s second year. More than 600,000 gallons of leftovers were collected during the second year. The program has collected 1,079,136 gallons of leftover paint throughout Oregon since the program began in July 2010.
The report reveals that the Oregon pilot program, the first of its kind in the United States, has shown significant increases in both the collection of latex and alkyd (oil-based) paint as well as the public’s general awareness of the program.
In the second year, PaintCare set up 11 new drop-off sites to improve the convenience for both residents and businesses that have paint to recycle. There are now a total of 102 drop-off sites in Oregon, and 94 percent of all Oregonians live within 15 miles of a PaintCare drop-off site, an increase from 65 percent at the start of the PaintCare program. Paint retailers make up 70 percent of the drop-off sites. The other 30 percent are government-run household hazardous waste facilities, solid waste facilities and ReStores.
PaintCare will soon have similar paint stewardship programs in three other states: California in October, Connecticut in 2013 and Rhode Island in 2014.
PaintCare is a non-profit organization established by the American Coatings Association to implement paint stewardship programs on behalf of the paint manufacturers in states that pass paint stewardship laws.