For as long as I have been with this magazine, our staff was under the impression that the legacy of our publication began in 1913. As we began planning for the coming year, we decided to incorporate our 100-year anniversary into our strategy, including mentions in the magazine, and some form of celebration at the upcoming American Coatings Show.
I intended to give the history of our magazine with this January Viewpoint, and as I began researching and compiling the information, I discovered that we are older than we thought! The origin of Paint & Coatings Industrymagazine actually dates back to 1900. Here is how the magazine has evolved:
• 1900-1978– The Western Paint Reviewwas published by Miramar Publishing Co. in California;
• 1978-1980– The magazine’s name was changed to Western Paint Industry;
• 1980– Western Paint Industrywas purchased by Western Trade Publishing Co. (also in California), and the name was changed to Western Paint & -Decorating;
• 1985– Western Paint & Decoratingsplit into Paint & Decoratingmagazine and Paint & Coatings Industry(PCI) -magazine;
• 1988– BNP Media, of Troy, MI, (our current publishing company) purchased PCI and changed it to a national publication;
• 1992– Three members of our current staff joined PCI – myself, Donna Campbell and Andrea Kropp.
PCI is now a global magazine, serving readers throughout North, South and Central America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean with both print and digital magazines. We also publish China editions nine times a year, as well as a Portuguese supplement for the ABRAFATI show.
So rather than commemorating our 100th anniversary, we are celebrating the completion of 113 years of serving the paint and coatings industry. We would like to carry this theme of celebrating milestones throughout the year. In this issue, Axalta highlights the history of automotive color popularity, and their role in the science and design of automotive color. And Nubiola celebrates 100 years of providing innovative color solutions to the coatings and other industries. I encourage our readers to submit your own anniversary or history stories for us to include in the magazine or on our website.
On behalf of the entire PCI staff, I would like to wish all of our readers and advertisers a Happy New Year. May 2014 be a healthy, safe and successful year for us all!