PITTSBURGH – PPG released its 2015 Corporate Sustainability Report, which details the company’s progress toward achieving its 2020 sustainability goals. The report is available at www.sustainability.ppg.com.
In 2015, the company achieved its goal of sustainable products accounting for 30 percent of its sales five years ahead of schedule. It also met, in only three years, its goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions intensity and energy intensity by 1.5 percent each per year.
Because of these achievements and the transformation of PPG’s portfolio to primarily paint, coatings and materials, the company updated its goals to better represent the challenges and opportunities it currently faces.
“We are committed to inventing products and processes that provide environmental and other sustainability benefits,” said Jane Valenta, PPG Vice President of Environment, Health and Safety. “Confident in the abilities and dedication of our people, we have reset many of our goals to ensure we are constantly striving toward a more sustainable future.”
The company announced the following progress in 2015:
- Achieved 30 percent of sales from sustainable products, an increase of 50 percent since 2012;
- Reduced energy intensity 23 percent since 2012;
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions intensity 17 percent since 2012;
- Reduced its injury and illness rate 26 percent since 2012;
- Implemented a wellness program at 71 percent of its facilities;
- Implemented its community engagement framework at 65 percent of its sites;
- Distributed $7.8 million in charitable contributions; and
- Launched the 10-year, $10 million COLORFUL COMMUNITIES™ global charitable initiative.