PITTSBURGH – PPG Industries outlines its progress toward the company’s 2020 sustainability goals in its 2013 Corporate Sustainability Report, which is now available online at www.ppg.com/csr.
In 2013, the company increased energy efficiency; improved employee safety, health and well-being; and strengthened its pipeline of sustainable new products. Highlights of the company’s progress last year include:
- Achieved one of the lowest injury and illness rates in company history, decreasing the rate by 12 percent;
- Significantly reduced energy intensity and greenhouse-gas-emissions intensity due to initiatives including the separation of its former commodity chemicals;
- Reduced air emissions, water consumption and water discharge;
- Achieved 21 percent of sales from sustainable products;
- Implemented wellness programs in more than 115 PPG manufacturing sites around the world;
- Increased engagement initiatives in PPG communities; and
- Distributed more than $5.3 million in charitable funds globally.
“PPG’s values and history of sustainable business practices are reflected in our actions and embedded in the guiding principles that shape the company’s commitments to customers, employees, shareholders, neighbors and suppliers,” said Jane Valenta, PPG Vice President of Environment, Health and Safety. “Through the efforts of our employees globally, PPG today is a stronger, more sustainable business that is positioned to deliver increased value for all stakeholders.”