Working with customers, nCoat and its subsidiaries are focused on developing engineered coating solutions to meet and exceed increasingly high performance materials specifications. Through nTech, nCoat develops nanoscale coating products principally focused on the following key aspects:
- Continued improvements to proprietary binding and dispersion formulas
- Continued research and testing of the solids in coatings for new, enhanced or new alternate functionality when applied to multiple substrates
- Improvement of materials and processes to further exploit binding interactions between coatings source materials and between the coating and the substrate
- Testing new uses for the high density, low porosity nano formulations
- Development and testing of new methods to create uniform sized nanoparticles
A second challenge from the aerospace sector was the protection of substrate structural material in extreme temperature conditions against the unacceptable risks of thermal oxidation. Testing was performed for NASA involving thermal barrier coatings designed to enable the fuselage of spacecraft to endure exposure to 4,200°F for a period during orbital re-entry. The resulting incorporation of a formulated nanocoating increased the duration of protection by 78 times previous testing - from 10 seconds to 13+ minutes.
A third nTech project focused on preventing rotor blade abrasion. Various industry coatings were tested on the edge of blades at high speeds to confirm protection against abrasion from rainfall. A standard rotor blade rain erosion test set tip speed at 632 feet per second, drenched the blades in simulated rainfall at a rate of 3 in. per hour and defined failure as erosion of the coating until an unbroken line of bare metal was exposed at the blade edge. Within 10-15 minutes, the industry-standard micron particulate coatings tested reached the failure point. The same test using nCoat's nano-formulated product reportedly did not fail through the entire duration of a 60-minute test. The tests demonstrated a performance increase for the nTech coating by a factor of up to six times over conventional coatings.
For more information, call 800.668.5455 or visitwww.ncoat.com.