I recently had the pleasure of attending the Coatings Summit 2022, which took place December 5-7 in Miami. Since its inception in 2003, the Coatings Summit has evolved into an auspicious gathering of industry icons to exchange views, share insights, and be inspired. Hosted by the World Coatings Council and Vincentz Network, the Coatings Summit provides a unique opportunity for coatings industry executives to gather in one place for interactive sessions that address a wide range of topics, from business strategy and economic forecasts to sustainability and new technology.
In his welcome remarks, Vincentz’s Juergen Nowak promised attendees two days of information, inspiration and networking, and he got it right. Speakers included Michael McGarry, chairman and chief executive officer of PPG; Yuichiro Wakatsuki, director, representative executive officer and co-president of Nippon Paint; Uta Holzenkamp, president of BASF Coatings; Christophe Sabas, CEO of Beckers Group; Michael Hansen, group president and chief executive officer of Hempel; Jeffrey Powell, CEO and president of Diamond Vogel; Lionel Schlessinger, entrepreneur, Monopol Colors; Frank Sullivan, chairman and chief executive officer of RPM International Inc.; Miguel Mantas, CEO of allnex; João Luis Serrenho, executive board member at CIN; and Johnson Ongking, vice president at Pacific Paint (Boysen) Philippines, Inc
Topics discussed included key trends, turning challenges into advantages, growth journeys, collaboration, digitalization, and embracing a multitude of markets. But interwoven into every presentation was the clear, overriding theme of sustainability.
I jotted down several thought-provoking comments throughout the event, and thought I would share some of them:
- “It’s amazing how many new products are introduced every year in an industry that has been around for thousands of years.” – Michael McGarry, PPG
- “We are the first generation to feel the effects of climate change, and the last to be able to do something about it.” - Uta Holzenkamp, BASF Coatings
- “The human impact is changing the world. Political leaders aren’t going to solve the climate problem. We have to solve it with innovation.” – Lionel Schlessinger, Monopol Colors
- “We are reformulating not to innovate, but to meet regulations. We have a duty to innovate.” – Lionel Schlessinger, Monopol Colors
- “Collaboration is the only viable route to address today’s and tomorrow’s coating challenges.” – Miguel Mantas, allnex
- “If structures have to be painted anyway, why not paint them with something that can clean the air?” - Johnson Ongking, Pacific Paint (Boysen) Philippines, Inc.
The Coatings Summit was a truly inspiring event, where each unique presentation reflected the speaker's personality, experiences and vision. The event’s sponsors made the experience all the more enjoyable. The coffee and lunch breaks were sponsored by Benjamin Moore, event Wi-Fi was provided by The ChemQuest Group, GDB International hosted a wonderful poolside welcome reception, and RPM International sponsored the Summit Celebration Night with delicious drinks, appetizers and dinner at Klaw restaurant in Miami.
Many thanks to Vincentz Network for the invitation. I’m very much looking forward to attending the next Coatings Summit in 2024!
Report Abusive Comment