WASHINGTON — The American Coatings Association (ACA) is seeking nominations for the 2021 Joseph J. Mattiello Lecture Award. Nominations must be received by Oct. 15, 2020 for consideration by the Mattiello Memorial Lecture Award Committee. The award will be presented at the CoatingsTech Conference, which will be held April 19-21, 2021.
The selected award recipient will deliver a technical presentation on a phase of chemistry, engineering, human relationship, or other discipline fundamental to paint, coatings, varnish, lacquer, or related protective and decorative coatings. The presentation will consist of a lecture of 50 to 55 minutes, followed by a question-and-answer session. A completed paper must also be submitted for the conference proceedings and possible inclusion in ACA publications.
Nominations must include the following:
- An official nomination letter highlighting the outstanding achievements of the nominee;
- Complete biography of the nominee including name, age and place of birth;
- Current position and brief job history;
- Education and degrees, with dates;
- A minimum of two letters of support from individuals within the industry; and
- Reference to significant publications and awards.
Individuals cannot nominate themselves. The items cited in the nomination should be pertinent or related to coatings, or be germane to the constituents of coatings. Activities and accomplishments considered appropriate for citation in the nomination include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Publications and communications such as journal articles, patents, books (authored, edited or organized), lectures and presentations, symposia or meetings organized. (Reprints may be submitted with the nomination but should be restricted to those that reflect seminal contributions; teaching credentials or skills, per se, are not to be considered in this award):
- Inventions and discoveries;
- New scientific principles, understanding or insight;
- Novel uses or applications of products;
- New or improved processes for production of resins or coatings, etc.; and
- Engineering aspects.
All nominations should be submitted as soon as possible, and preferably before Oct. 15, 2020, to ACA’s Steve Sides, Vice President of Global Affairs and Chief Science Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be mailed to Mattiello Memorial Lecture Committee; c/o Steve Sides; American Coatings Association; 901 New York Avenue NW, Suite 300 West; Washington, DC 20001.
The Mattiello Lecture Award recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to science, technology and/or engineering related to the coatings industry. Joseph J. Mattiello, whose memory is commemorated by this award, did much to expand the application of science in the decorative and protective coatings field. Nominations will be ranked by the Mattiello Memorial Lecture Committee based on standards of technical accomplishment, service to the coatings industry and leadership.