AWX™, a new waterborne basecoat/clearcoat system from Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes Corp. (SWAFC), uses a proprietary resin system that behaves like modern solventborne system. The product is designed to meet the strict volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions limits soon to be adopted in California and Canada, while adhering to the environmentally friendly guidelines that will be implemented throughout the Midwest and Northeastern United States.
The Northeast Ozone Transport Commission has drawn up VOC-reduction legislation for 12 states and expects to have rules in place as soon as 2011; the likelihood is the rest of the country will be switching as well.
The new system doesn’t require new or specialized equipment in order to use it effectively. Additional benefits of the product reportedly include:
- Fast dry time
- Simple, compact toner line that is easy to mix
- Superior color match and blending properties
- Quick flash times between coats
- Short bake clearcoats with seven to 10 minute cure cycles
- A sandable basecoat that repairs quickly to remove imperfections
- A blending process that produces consistent, mottle-free finishes